Donating to the National Institute on Drug Abuse

The National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA), a component of the National Institutes of Health (NIH), supports most of the world's research on the health aspects of drug abuse and addiction. The NIH is an agency of the United States government, and NIDA receives its funding through appropriations approved by the U.S. Congress. NIDA does not solicit funds or participate in fundraising activities, and it is not a private, charitable organization. However, NIDA is authorized to accept donations to support its research activities through the NIDA Gift Fund.

How to Donate

Donations are handled through the NIDA Gift Fund. We accept checks or money orders made payable to the National Institute on Drug Abuse and sent to:

National Institute on Drug Abuse
Financial Management Branch
C/O NIH Mail Center
16071 Industrial Drive – Dock 11
Gaithersburg, MD 20892*
*(Use 20892 for U.S. Postal Service, 20877 for UPS and FedEx)

What to Include in the Cover Letter

Please send a cover letter or note indicating the donation is to be used to support the mission of the NIDA and include the donor's name(s) and address(es). Providing an email address for the donor and any individuals to be acknowledged will help expedite delivery of the acknowledgment letter.

  • For donations in memory or in honor of someone, please include the name of the person and the name(s) and address(es) of individuals you want NIDA to acknowledge. All donations will be acknowledged with a thank you letter. 
  • For donations in support of a specific NIDA research area, please include the name of the lab, office, or research type.

Tax Information

Although NIDA is not a private charitable organization, as a federal agency of the United States, donations made directly to NIDA are generally tax deductible as charitable contributions pursuant to 26 U.S.C. 170(c). You may read more details on the IRS website, and contact your tax advisor.

For more information, please contact the NIDA Financial Management Branch at (301) 443-6627.