As of December 29, 2022, clinicians are no longer required to obtain a DATA waiver (X-waiver) to prescribe buprenorphine to treat opioid use disorder. Visit the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration website for more information about the removal of the DATA waiver requirement.
Keeping you up-to-date on the latest trends related to medical marijuana, use during pregnancy, and statistics about commonly misused drugs. For an overview of commonly used and misused drugs, check out this chart. It includes information about 30 specific types of drugs (e.g., street names, common forms, ways to take them), their possible health effects, and treatment options if they are misused.
If you are looking for materials to share with adults, teens, and parents on marijuana and other drugs, visit the For Your Patients page.
- Patient Information
- For patient information, visit the For Your Patients page.
- Learn More About E-Cigarettes/Vaping
- Vaping and E-Cigarette Videos – Playlist of informational videos from NIDA.
- Vaping Resources – Videos, publications, infographics, and more from NIDA. Find statistics and national trends on NIDA’s Tobacco/Nicotine and Vaping page.
- E-Cigarettes Facts – American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) webpage with facts and resources
- Supporting Youth who are Addicted to Nicotine: Advice for Pediatricians – Tips for screening, counseling, and helping youth with a cessation plan. Also available in Spanish.
- E-Cigarettes and Vaping: What Clinicians Need to Know – Facts and tips for clinicians to help address the use and exposure of electronic nicotine delivery systems (ENDS) among children and youth. Also available in Spanish.
- Science News
- Monitoring the Future Survey – Funded by NIDA and conducted by scientists at the University of Michigan, the Monitoring the Future survey tracks annual drug use and attitudes among eighth, 10th, and 12th grade students.
- CDC's Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report on E-cigarette Use Among Middle and High School Students – Review the newly released findings from the 2020 National Youth Tobacco Survey to get the latest trends on e-cigarette use among middle and high school students.
- NIH-funded study finds teens prefer mint and mango vaping flavors
- E-Cigarettes Promote Smoking Progression in Youth and Depress Quitting Among Adults
- E-Cigarettes and the brain – Study shows e-cigarettes affect the brain similarly to other nicotine sources, read more about the recent findings.
- FDA Finalizes Enforcement Policy on Unauthorized Flavored Cartridge-Based E-Cigarettes That Appeal to Children, Including Fruit and Mint – Policy on flavored vaping cartridges from the Food & Drug Administration (FDA).
- Vaping Illness Update: FDA Warns Public to Stop Using Tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) – Containing Vaping Products and Any Vaping Products Obtained Off the Street – FDA
- The Safety Reporting Portal – Use this portal to report adverse effects of vaping to the FDA and the National Institutes of Health.
- Hearing on Cannabis Policies for the New Decade – Read Dr. Volkow’s congressional testimony on the adverse health effects of cannabis, current NIH efforts to research the risks and benefits of cannabis use, and its potential for therapeutic purposes.
- Tobacco, marijuana, and pregnancy – Read the latest NIDA-funded science on this topic
- Is Marijuana Safe to Use While Pregnant or Breastfeeding?
- Marijuana Use During Pregnancy and Lactation – The American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists Committee Opinion
- Medical Marijuana
- Preventing the Use of Marijuana: Focus on Women and Pregnancy – Learn about research findings, best practices, knowledge gaps and implementation resources from the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration
- Psychotic Symptoms in Some Marijuana Users Challenge Providers – Read about how psychoactive compounds in marijuana have increased the risk of psychotic symptoms.
- Science News – Findings from the latest methamphetamine-related studies funded by NIDA.
- Combination treatment for methamphetamine use disorder shows promise in NIH study (January 13, 2021).
- Methamphetamine overdose deaths rise sharply nationwide (January 21, 2021).
- Bupropion and Naltrexone in Methamphetamine Use Disorder (NEJM, 2021) – Study findings show that a combination of medications may be an effective treatment for adults with methamphetamine use disorder.
- Methamphetamine – Variety of methamphetamine-related resources from NIDA including videos, publications, and charts.
- Methamphetamine Research Report – NIDA’s research report on what methamphetamine is, how it is manufactured and used, available treatments, and more.
- Kratom DrugFacts – Learn about kratom, how it is used, and its reported health effects.
- Trends & Statistics
- Implementing Tobacco Cessation Programs in Substance Use Disorder Treatment Settings – A quick guide for program directors and clinicians from the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA)
- Substance Use Among the Military, Veterans, and their Families – Explores the scope of substance use among the military, veterans, and their families, and discusses the research underway to better understand issues and identify solutions.