- NIDA-supported research has led to the development of effective interventions for treating substance use disorders and overdose, including medications (such as those for opioid use disorder or tobacco dependence), behavioral interventions, and digital therapeutics. NIDA continues to support and conduct research to develop and implement safe, effective, and desirable treatment strategies that support individuals’ long-term goals.
- NIDA funds a broad research portfolio aimed at increasing access to high quality, evidence-based treatment tailored for specific populations, including adolescents, people in justice settings, and people with other mental health concerns.
Latest from NIDA
Find More Resources on Treatment
- Learn more about accessing substance use and mental health treatment and related services from the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration.
- Review patient information on drug use and addiction treatment from MedlinePlus.
- Learn more about research on treatment for opioid addiction from the Helping to End Addiction Long-term® Initiative, or NIH HEAL Initiative®.
- Learn more about treatment for alcohol use disorder from the National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism, part of NIH.