The NIDA International Program works with partners to develop and disseminate educational and networking opportunities.
- Find NIDA Fellows on the Worldwide Map
- Search Abstracts Presented at NIDA-Supported International Meetings
- Join the International Society of Substance Use Professionals (ISSUP)
- NIDAMED: Clinical Resources
Science-based resources for health professionals and those in training about screening, addressing, and treating addiction.
- NIDA Clinical Trials Network – Good Clinical Practice
The free Good Clinical Practice course prepares research staff to conduct clinical trials with human participants. The 12 modules are based on the international and U.S. principles for clinical research trials. A Certificate of Completion is valid for 3 years within the NIDA Clinical Trials Network.
Universal Curricula and Credentialing
- Universal Prevention Curriculum and Universal Treatment Curriculum
Based on international, evidence-based research, quality standards, and ethical principles for drug use prevention and treatment, these basic and advanced curricula are administered by ISSUP to provide training for substance abuse researchers and treatment providers.
- Global Centre for Credentialing and Certification (GCCC)
Part of the Colombo Plan Drug Advisory Programme, GCCC trains and issues credentials for International Certified Addiction Professionals (ICAP) using evidence-based universal curricula in prevention, treatment, and recovery programs that meet international standards. Supported by the United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime, U.S. Department of State, International Consortium of Universities for Drug Demand Reduction, and ISSUP.
Degree and Certificate Programs
- International Consortium of Universities for Drug Demand Reduction Directory of Addiction Study Programs
Search the directory to find institutions offering a certificate, associate, bachelor, master, or doctoral program in substance use disorders, as well as institutions offering a concentration, specialty, or minor in the addiction field.
- International Programme in Addiction Studies
An online master’s degree program in addiction studies offered jointly by the University of Adelaide in Australia, King’s College London in the United Kingdom, and Virginia Commonwealth University in the United States.
- Duluth Global Health Research Institute
This University of Minnesota institute supports global medical research initiatives through research and training programs. Research areas include stress and resilience, stress and addiction, health disparities, and khat, as well as the African and Middle East Congress on Addiction (AMECA).
- International Max Planck Research School (IMPRS)
An English-language doctoral program in Germany for students from all over the world.
- National Hispanic Science Network
NHSN and the Interdisciplinary Research Training Institute support predoctoral, postdoctoral, and early career scientists interested in conducting research on drug abuse among Hispanics.
- Middle East Research Ethics Training Initiative (MERETI)
Postgraduate programs in health research ethics at the University of Maryland School of Medicine, supported by the Fogarty International Center.
- Dutch Summer Institute on Alcohol, Drugs & Addictions
Focuses on international networking and multidisciplinary approaches to drug policy, prevention, and evidence-based treatment that bridge the gap between research and practice.
- European Monitoring Centre for Drugs and Drug Addiction (EMCDDA) European Summer School
Multidisciplinary, 2-week program for students and professionals focused on European drug policy.