The following are some concepts that were put forward by the NIDA Racial Equity Initiative and approved by the National Advisory Council on Drug Abuse earlier in 2022. A concept describes the purpose, scope, and objectives of a potential funding opportunity announcement. Concepts are posted to give interested researchers additional time to plan for application submissions. Approved concepts are usually developed into Requests For Applications (RFAs), Program Announcements that include set-aside funds (PASs), or Program Announcements with special receipt, referral and/or review considerations (PARs). While these are not currently funding announcements, this public information gives an indication of important research areas that are of current interest to NIDA. If/when they are developed into funding announcements, they can be found on our website under NIDA Funding Opportunities and published in the NIH Guide.
Approved NIDA Racial Equity Initiative Concepts:
- Addressing Racial Equity in Substance Use and Addiction Outcomes Through Community-Engaged Research
- Avenir Award for Research on Racial Equity
- Neurocognitive Mechanisms Underlying the Impact of Structural Racism on the Substance Use Trajectory
- Center to Support Research on Racial Equity and Health Disparities
- Training and Diversifying the Data Science Workforce for Addiction Research
- Reaching Equity at the Intersection of HIV and Substance Use: Novel Approaches to Address HIV Related Health Disparities in Minority Populations