The NIDA International Program Awards of Excellence recognize individuals for outstanding contributions to international cooperation in drug abuse research and training. The awards are presented each June at the NIDA International Forum to persons who have demonstrated outstanding and sustained support of the NIDA International Program mission in three categories:
Excellence in Mentoring
Recognizes grantees who have served as mentors for NIDA-supported research training programs and who have continued their mentoring beyond the fellowship period. The awardees have demonstrated exceptional guidance to help NIDA Fellows achieve research independence and are leaders in the Institute’s efforts to develop an international community of scientists who exchange information and collaborate on drug abuse research nationally, regionally, and globally.
- 2016 J. Randy Koch, Ph.D.
- 2015 Robert E. Booth, Ph.D.
- 2014 Dennis McCarty, Ph.D.
- 2013 Wendee M. Wechsberg, Ph.D.
- 2012 Clyde B. McCoy, Ph.D.
- 2011 Jeffrey H. Samet, M.D.
- 2010 Walter Ling, M.D.
- 2009 James (Jim) C. Anthony, Ph.D., M.Sc.
- 2008 Linda B. Cottler, Ph.D., M.P.H.
- 2007 Wallace Mandell, Ph.D.
- 2006 Robert L. Balster, Ph.D.
Excellence in International Leadership
Recognizes U.S. or non-U.S. drug abuse researchers who have made significant contributions to international collaborative research and/or capacity building outside the United States. The awardees serve as exemplars to their colleagues through superior efforts to develop the human resources necessary to improve scientific understanding of drug abuse and addiction and develop and implement science-based prevention and treatment programs.
- 2016 Marya Hynes, M.P.H.
- 2015 Viviana Elizabeth Horigian, M.D.
- 2014 Charles O’Keeffe, M.B.A.
- 2013 Vladimir Poznyak, M.D., Ph.D.
- 2012 Paul Griffiths, M.Sc.
- 2011 María Elena Medina-Mora Icaza, Ph.D.
- 2010 Evgeny Krupitsky, M.D., Ph.D., D.M.Sc.
- 2009 Ian Stolerman, Ph.D., B.Pharm.
- 2008 Juana M. Tomás-Rosselló, M.D., M.P.H.
- 2007 David S. Metzger, Ph.D.
- 2006 Flavio S. Pechansky, M.D., Ph.D.
Excellence in Collaborative Research
Recognizes creative or pioneering efforts by binational or multinational research teams consisting of at least one NIDA grantee and one non-U.S. research partner who have appreciably improved the mechanisms to foster international collaborative research and/or significantly contributed to scientific knowledge about drug abuse and addiction.
- 2016 Mustafa al’Absi, Ph.D.
- 2015 Hendrée E Jones, Ph.D. and Gabriele Fischer, M.D.
- 2014 Marek C Chawarski, Ph.D., and Vicknasingam B Kasinather, Ph.D.
- 2013 Yih-Ing Hser, Ph.D., and Min Zhao, M.D., Ph.D.
- 2011 Richard A. Rawson, Ph.D.
- 2010 Thomas F. Babor, Ph.D., M.P.H. and Robin Room, Ph.D.
- 2009 Steffanie Strathdee, Ph.D.; María Remedios Lozada Romero, M.D., Mexico; and Carlos Magis-Rodríguez, M.D., M.P.H., Mexico
- 2008 Perry F. Renshaw, M.D., Ph.D., and In Kyoon Lyoo, M.D., Ph.D.
- 2007 Richard Schottenfeld, M.D. and Mahmud Mazlan, M.D.
- 2006 George E. Woody, M.D., and Edwin Zvartau, M.D.