Review recent substance use and addiction resources, research, courses, and more for pain medicine specialists.
- How to Taper Patients Off of Chronic Opioid Therapy – Stanford Center for Continuing Medical Education
Opioid Crisis and Pain Care
- EMPOWER Study: Effective Management of Pain and Opioid-Free Ways to Enhance Relief – A multi-state project funded by the Patient-Centered Outcomes Research Institute (PCORI) to identify how to best help physicians and patients successfully and voluntarily reduce long-term opioid use and chronic pain through patient-centered methods.
- HHS Guide for Clinicians on the Appropriate Dosage Reduction or Discontinuation of Long-Term Opioid Analgesics
- American Academy of Pain Medicine
Review recent research related to opioids and managing and treating chronic pain.
- Prescribing opioids in primary care: Safely starting, monitoring, and stopping. Cleveland Clinical Journal of Medicine.
- Barriers and facilitators to use of non-pharmacological treatments in chronic pain. BMC Family Practice.
- Efficacy of a Single-Session "Empowered Relief" Zoom-Delivered Group Intervention for Chronic Pain: Randomized Controlled Trial Conducted During the COVID-19 Pandemic. Journal of Medical Internet Research.
- "Clues" That Patients May Be Willing to Consider Opioid Reductions. Journal of General Internal Medicine.
- Common and challenging behaviors among individuals on long-term opioid therapy. Journal of Addiction Medicine.
- Opioids Are Not Better than Non-opioid Pain Medications for Chronic Back, Hip, or Knee Pain. Journal of General Internal Medicine.
- Comparison of a Single-Session Pain Management Skills Intervention With a Single-Session Health Education Intervention and 8 Sessions of Cognitive Behavioral Therapy in Adults With Chronic Low Back Pain: A Randomized Clinical Trial. Journal of the American Medical Association Network Open.
- Promoting Patient-Centeredness in Opioid Deprescribing: a Blueprint for De-implementation Science. Journal of General Internal Medicine.
- Visit the NIDAMED homepage for additional CME courses, patient materials, and information on the opioid crisis, screening, prevention, and treatment.